Monday, April 25, 2011

Skip the Engagement! Let's get married!

Hold the phone, people! I'm not married...officially. It happened rather quickly my head is still reeling!

What was I wearing? Kakhis and a nice shirt.
Where there a lot of people there? About 35
What was it like? There was a lot of laughter, knowing smiles, and tears of joy. We were surrounded by people we have genuine affection for. All in all it was a lovely ceremony.

Actually it was one of the funniest classes that I've had in a LONG time.

I was trying to teach my students what "complaining" meant by using an example. I said that when I ask a student to come to the front of the class to speak English I get the same reaction, "Amanda teacher, whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy? Next-uh. Pass! Englishee NO!" so they are 'complaining'.

It worked in ALL of my classes except one.

One of my students loudly protested that she would not complain and that she'd be happy to stand up in class and speak English. Calling her bluff I invited her to the front of the class where she proceeds to speak in broken English. "Amanda, I love you. You and I, married?"
Before I can even think she grabs my arm, hooks it around hers, and starts walking me down the aisle. SHe is, of course, humming the wedding march as we walk. I'm laughing so hard I have tears welling up in my eyes. When we finish our walk I gently push her back to her desk and try my best to compose myself.
I've already lost the students but I know with a few stern words I'll have them back on track.

Still, the memory makes me smile.

My 'husband's' name? : Delete (English Name).

Love it.

No comments: