Friday, November 20, 2009

See that sun rising over there? That's East.

Another bus story! You ready? This one is really good! My words can't do it justice.
Let me set the scene for you:

It is 5:30-6:00 in the morning, it is still semi-dark out and I'm waiting at the bus stop after just getting dropped off by one of the other buses. Yes, this is the ever elusive transfer. Knowing I'm going to be there for a while and the McDonalds across the street is closed until 7 or something crazy like that I have my iPod in my ears and I'm jammin'. The bus won't come until around 6:30 so I know i have a while when suddenly this car pulls over on the side street next to the bustop...
Now imagine me, I'm in a really baggy sweatshirt, my hood is up, and I'm pressed against a building jammin' away listening to Insyderz. Great song by the way, I was really jamming. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that I'm pretty observant when I'm at this particular bus stop I wouldn't have noticed the car slowing down and turning down the street. I really shouldn't have made a big deal about it but something just wasn't right. I whipped out my phone and had 911 ready, all I had to do was press the 'send' button.
Next thing I know this man appears from around the corner. I can kind of see the glow from his tail lights and I realize this guy pulled over to talk to me.
He's about 5'11, 250lbs with twin braids of glossy black hair that framed a round brown face. I'd say he was Mexican or Native American but I lean more towards Mexican. Anyways, he saunters up and asks me if I know where West Kansas City is.

Yeah right.

I point in the direction of the sun, where it is rising and say, "You see the sun right there? That is the East and that means that way (I moved my hand to point in the opposite direction) is west. That's all I can tell you."
He then proceeds to tell me he's been chillin' and drinkin' all night and got kind of turned around (he jiggled a beer can in his right hand in case I hadn't noticed). After he gets no response from me he THEN says, "I bet you get guys stoppin' all the time--"
"No..no actually they tend to just keep going." Hint hint
"Oh...well, my name is Ramon" He then extends a hand for me to shake it.

Ok, I'm not stupid. There is no way I'm going to let him get close enough that he can grab me and pull me into his car. There is little enough traffic and though the police station wasn't too far away no one would bother to wake up out of their beds on a Saturday morning because a white girl was hollering for help. So I did the next best thing: I took a few steps back and was fully surrounded by the street-lamp a few feet away from the bus stop, I held up my hand and said

"No, no, that's ok."

To end the story I'm obviously safe and he went back to his car though I really couldn't get back into the music. Ironically the song, "Rock-a-bye" came on and the singer was crooning in my ear, "Everything is gonna be alright".

Don't worry, this day had a happy ending but that will come later :)

1 comment:

Sara Michele said...

Frightful. No peace even with the hood up? I hate to think you live in so much fear Amanda! You definately need to come here. The creepiest dirtiest men in Andong have only ever offered me soju or given me a bag of roasted chestnuts in a manner that was no more than oddly friendly or endearing.