Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sweet baby Ray

"You know what time the 24 comes in?"

You may not know this, but this is one epic pick-up line. Men of all ages approach me, out of many and ask me this question. Wanna know how I know its a pick-up line? Cause after I tell them they start to ask about my personal life. Not the, "So you don't have a car either, huh?" No it's straight to the point, "Ya gotta man?"

Honestly, I have to give these people credit. They are pretty straight forward.

Today was no exception. His name is Ray.

He starts off with the usual, "What time does the 24 come in?" I tell him that it pulls out every hour on the hour so it should be here about 10 mintues beforehand. Thinking we're done I go back to the book I'm reading, trying my best to think of warm things since I'm freezing my butt off.
Suddenly I hear, "You're really pretty." I mumble a thanks but I guess he didn't hear because next thing I know he's sitting next to me and he not only repeats himself but says, "I told you you're pretty, don't I get a thank you?"

I have to admit, he has my attention. I close my book and look up at him. "I did, I said thank you."

He then proceeds to talk to me about where he's going and asking me about routes. I really have no idea about it and I tell him this. He then smiles at me and asks if he can sit next to me on the bus. I POLITELY tell him "no".

Once the bus pulls up I hop to my feet and walk there, Ray following close behind and still talking. Usually I have patience but I was cold and tired and knew I had a long day of bus-riding to do.

He then began to annoy the bus driver with directions since he really didn't know where he was going. He looked at me and asked me where I was going.

To my surprise I found myself replying, "The Zoo." He smiled, "Can I go with you?" The bus driver, to his credit, hid his smile before Ray could see it.
"No"
"Oh, what about dinner some time?"
"No."
"I work, make a lot of money. Almost made it into the KC Royals"
(KC Royals is the baseball team...I think)
"Almost."

The bus driver isn't even trying to hide his smile now as he gains the attention of Ray with a polite question about where exactly he is going...other than the zoo.

Needless to say they figured it out and Ray talked to me the entire time until I hopped off.



Just to put this on the record, I would have been a tid bit more interested if
1. I was attracted
2. I was warm and comfortable

Only two variables...not bad. I'm not desperate!

5 comments:

Sara Michele said...

Haha, these people are relentless. I never know people were so bold on public trasportation. I wonder if any actual love connections do happen. You never know, one of these days you might agree when someone asks to sit next to you.

Or, I imagine, you'll start standing on the bus.

And yes, the Kansas City Royals are a professional baseball team. But they aren't very good :p

Unknown said...

I think i saw a game with them going against the detroit tigers. Tigers lost. I think that's why I sorta blurred it from memory xD

Linda said...

Can you wear headphones with an ipod and act like you don't hear them? Otherwise I might suggest making little cards that say,"

Can you help me?
I'm deaf and mute, and need money for bus fare.
Then have some tootsie rolls if they give you money.

Hand one to anyone who looks at you, and then others would shy away knowing what was up :-)

Ok, that's not moral, but it *would* be funny.
Oh the stories you'll have to remember when you get your car -- and oh how you'll appreciate that car!!

Scott G said...

Almost made it into the Royals? That's like bragging about how you almost graduated from 6th grade.

Unknown said...

I like you :D Cause you make me laugh